Here we go.

15 November 2008

L O N G D A Y I I

It gets dark so early now!  This photo was taken in the car yesterday evening.  I was passenger.  It looks like a portrait painting at times:


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We woke up at a reasonable hour despite staying up so late last night. We decided to go Heifer International's ranch in Perryville, Arkansas -- an hour's drive west of here. When we arrived, the retired elderly docents gave a brief oral bio and then made us watch a video. When it was over, we got a tour of the lay of the land by minivan. We didn't get to see too many animals up close, it was bitter cold & most animals were inaccessible anyway. We had a great time & would like to return when the weather is nicer.

I startled this llama with flash. It actually glared at me & gave me stink eye, never getting too close again.

These adorable turkeys followed close. They make a pleasant clucking noise. I hope they aren't for Thxgiving!

This one got very close.

Water buffalo! What girth! I bet I could punch him in the side & he wouldn't even be bothered.

Leaving:


When we got home, we called Collin and inquired about his supper plans.  It was decided that we'd go to Damgoode -- we met at his home, visited & then had pizza on the outdoor patio.  It was heated with outdoor lamps.  Zach H. met us, too.  We got to see TC!  It's been too long.  He seems to be doing well.

With Collin:


My tiredness is catching up with me now.  Me & ATM have been making our house a home listening to records and arranging things.  We like it here. 

5 comments:

boleroid said...

nice rembrandt.

kmhd said...

Holy crap, the water buffalo does look like a good punching bag.

Dang, that post left me hungry.

Alannah said...

I take each group of students to Heifer...so I go at least 5 times a year. I love it out there, but I hate that damn video!! It's very emotionally manipulative. But I guess that's the point.

I'll be bringing a group this Friday & Saturday, actually. anything happening Friday night?

AMD & KMHD said...

Gosh, this Friday? I don't know if anything is going on. I'll put my ear to the ground & see if I hear anything.

I love Heifer! One of my favorite things are the sheep dogs. We saw 7/8 -- our guide told us that we weren't supposed to really interact with them, since they are working dogs. No petting, no feeding. And she said that it's rare to see so many. She says she usually sees them one at a time and few & far between.

Alannah said...

I'll probably give you a shout later in the week. We'll head down to LR Friday morning...go to Central High Historic site, then the capitol building. I usually take them down to the River Market and set them free for dinner. We're staying at the Holiday Inn Presidential right there on 30. Then Sat. am we go to the Clinton Library then drive over to Heifer around 11am...do the Heifer thing then drive back to F'ville. It's a whirlwind but I've got it down to a fine science by now.

Blog Archive